Choosing a new hair color may be about updating your look, banishing gray or simply trying something new. No matter your motivation for having your hair dyed, choosing the right color for your skin tone is essential. Simply identify your skin’s undertones, think about your personal preferences and pick the color that matches your skin and your aesthetic.
How to Determine Your Skin Tone
For most women, determining their skin tone is more of an art than a science. Use the guidelines below to help decide what type of skin you have. If you can’t decide between two different tones, do a search for famous actresses with that skin type. You can use their photos as guidance when determining your own skin tone. Your skin will fall into one of these three categories:
- Deep: Women with deep skin tones tend to have brown eyes and look great in bright jewel tones. They can sport intense colors such as plum and deep red on their lips and can easily wear both gold and silver jewelry. If you have a deep skin tone, the veins on your wrist may appear purple.
- Warm: Women with warm skin tones tend to have brown, amber, green or hazel eyes and favor lipsticks in earth tones. They look great in off whites and beiges and shine best in gold jewelry. If you have a warm skin tone, the veins on your wrist may appear slightly green.
- Cool: Women with cool skin tones tend to have green, hazel or gray eyes and look best in stunning whites. They look great in lipsticks with a red base and prefer silver jewelry. If you have a cool skin tone, the veins are your wrist likely appear blue.
Remember that the lighter your skin shade, the lighter the hair color you can pull off with ease.
Picking the Right Color for You
Picking the right color for you means thinking about what colors work best with your skin tone. Keep the following tips in mind:
- Women with deep skin tones tend to look best with darker, golden-hued colors that reflect light.
- Women with warm skin tones tend to look great in golden browns and shades of amber.
- Women with cool skin tones look great in blondes and reds.
For inspiration, flip through a celebrity magazine the next time you’re in the grocery store to get a good idea of what colors are popular for your skin tone right now. Once you’ve decided on a hair color, book an appointment with one of our experienced stylists at Bella Vita salon.