Are you a chronic mani-wrecker? You get a manicure, thoughtlessly reach into the jagged abyss that is your purse, and goodbye gorgeous. Keys, pockets, hand sanitizer…these are just a few of life’s manicure snipers.
Here’s the good news: acrylic and shellac can help. Both can cure you of your mani-sabotaging ways, but each also has unique benefits. Ultimately, it comes down to preference.
Giving the Competition a Good Shellacking
Shellac is a hybrid of traditional nail polish and gel that cures in UV light. Here are a few of shellac’s perks:
- Au naturel. For fans of the natural look, shellac resembles a traditional mani. The polish goes on your real nails and leaves them with a gorgeous, natural-looking gloss.
- The polish that just doesn’t quit. Shellac will astonish you with its longevity. You can count on shellac to look fab for at least two weeks, at which point you’ll see a small gap between your cuticle and the polish. The polish itself, though, can last up to a month.
- Bring on the abuse. Shellac dries instantly and doesn’t chip. So do your worst, mani-saboteurs; shellac can take it.
- Nail-friendly. Shellac is gentle on your nails and removes fairly easily. You’ll also like the flexibility it offers without compromising durability.
Nail Abusers, You’ve Met Your Match in Acrylics
Maybe you chain-drink pop-top cans of Diet Coke. Perhaps you’re a nervous nail-biter. Or maybe you have a tinge of OCD and wash your hands a few more times a day than your nails would like. Whatever your habit, the point is that your nails take a lashing, and your mani has to be mani-‘nough to be your manicure (thanks, Sheryl Crow!). Here’s why acrylics might be just what you need:
- Low cost, high quality. Acrylics cost more than a regular manicure, but they typically cost less than a gel or shellac manicure.
- No fuss for up to three weeks. Most women can go about three weeks before their acrylics need to be filled. That’s less time, and money, spent in the salon.
- Change it up. Want to change your nails to match your new bag? Not a problem with acrylics. With non-acetone polish remover, you can change their color any time without damaging the acrylics.
- Customize to your heart’s content. Whatever length or shape of nail you want, acrylics can do it. Not to mention the fact that acrylics make the ideal canvas for any nail art your heart desires.
Both acrylics and shellac can give you the tough, long-lasting manicure you want. Which one is right for you is a matter of preference. Shellac gives a natural look with amazing chip-resistance, and acrylics give you weeks of fabulous nails and uncanny strength. You really can’t go wrong! Schedule your next manicure with the nail specialists at Bella Vita Salon & Spa.